Friday, June 13, 2008

Mike Gravel 2008!


I'm very excited to be able to participate in the presidential election for the first time this year, but I still haven't decided who I'm voting for. I'm doing a decent job at being informed on the major issues and figuring out which of the canidates I'm most alligned with. But it's hard. Because I'd much rather someone else do the thinking for me, I took an internet quiz tonight. It asked me questions and figured out which canidate I'm most aligned with. Here were some of the questions and my answers:


1. How do you feel about civil liberties in post-9/11 America?
Answer: They've been infringed upon since 9/11 and must be strengthened.

I don't want to give the government the right to break the rights of the bad people because I fear they might be used against the good people someday.


4. How do you feel about the Iraq War?
Answer: We made a commitment to Iraq and must keep our troops there until our goals are achieved.
War sucks and this one especially does because it's gone longer and resulted in more deaths than anyone expected. But I think the cons of war are outweighed by the cons of a premature withdrawl.


5. What are your views on the death penalty?
Answer: It should be outlawed.

I know it probably deters some people from commiting crimes, but there's got to be a better way. It's like saying, let's kill people to deter people from killing people. It almost seems counterproductive to the whole not killing thing.


It turns out I'm voting for... Mike Gravel! I'm assuming that it's because I'm very pro-civil liberties. Since I can't vote for Mike Gravel I had to look at my next best choices. Obama scored higher than McCain did, however the Iraq war holds more weight than a lot of the other issues and I'm more aligned with McCain with that. It also didn't take into account some of the other things, ie. experience and I'm also really frightened of a black person in office.


I'm still undecided.


By the way, I was kidding about the black person thing. I promise.

5 comments:

Miss Candy Anderson said...

I'm obsessed with your blog. You should go check out my friend Joseph H. He was my old co worker. He has political blogs too and he's from Provo but he's a bit more Liberal. Go to my page and look under my friends blogs.

Jacob said...

I checked out his blog and quite enjoyed it. He seems like a really smart guy.

Kirsten Krason said...

Jake I am glad you are finding out your views. I think you should do a post on the death penalty. You should research the pros and cons. good post!

Sarah Jane Curtis said...

hi Jacob.

John said...

You know all you need to do is ask your dad and he'll tell you who to vote for.